There are plenty of high-quality products on the market today that are designed to stop criminals from entering your property. Considering that most break-ins and home invasions only last a short time, criminals often choose their targets well before taking action.
The truth of the matter is that, while certain crimes are committed with little to no premeditation, more sophisticated criminals stake out their targets to mitigate their risk. They know that if occupants aren’t home or at a business during off-hours, they are more likely to take what they’re looking for and escape before being detected.
Is there a way to stop criminals from surveilling your home, business and family? Yes, the answer is with Nightlock’s Lockdown Safety Shades.By installing and regularly deploying opaque curtains, criminals are less likely to target your property, your family, or your business.
In this article, we’ll take a look at how criminals surveil your property as a viable target to burglarize, and why Nightlock’s lockdown safety shades are the perfect choice for your business and home.
How Criminals Target Your Property
Criminals scope out their targets in a number of ways:
- Passing by on foot frequently: Criminals will gather reconnaissance about your property by taking walks to size up your property. Some will pose as joggers and/or wear exercise clothing to give them an alibi if they should be questioned by police. Often, criminals will take multiple trips during different times of the day to determine:
- When a property is occupied
- Who lives at the property, including if children are present during non-school hours
- What high-value items you throw away or boxes of these items
- If the property has a security system, such as a camera, guard dog, motion sensor lights, etc.
- Taking photographs or videos of your property: If you notice an individual taking pictures of your property, especially if it is not for sale, you may reasonably suspect that an individual is assessing whether your property is a target.
- Parking in your neighborhood: It’s common for criminals to sit in their vehicles to stake out a property and wait for the occupants to leave. The vehicle may be disguised as a utility truck or a home service provider, but it’s important to be on the lookout for any individuals that seem out of place
- Solicitation scams: A common scam for criminals to get a closer look at a property is to pose as a utility worker, salesperson, or religious person to gain access to your home or business. These individuals may attempt to learn about what weaknesses your property has, when your home is occupied by asking questions, and other social engineering techniques that prey upon unsuspecting people.
- Leaving flyers: Similar to solicitation scams, criminals may leave fliers at properties that they canvas to determine if a home or business is occupied. If the paper isn’t taken in a day or so, the criminal may learn that the home or business is unoccupied.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways that criminals look to learn about whether your home is a potential target.
How Lockdown Safety Shades from Nightlock Protect What Matters Most
In each of the ways that criminals assess your property as a target, having a direct line of sight into your property says a lot about how vulnerable your home is to a home invasion or burglary.
By installing and regularly deploying Lockdown Safety Shades from Nightlock, your home or business gains the following benefits:
- Breaking up the line of sight for criminals looking for vulnerabilities to your property, making it impossible for criminals to accurately assess who is inside the building and what valuable items you may have
- Showing that your take security seriously, dissuading criminals from exploring further
- Adding a layer of security that helps supplement your other security devices (such as high-quality locks, alarms, door barricades, and more)
- Blocking out sunshine to regulate your inner temperature control and provide a more comfortable atmosphere for staff, patrons, family, and pets.
When used in conjunction with Nightlock’s security products for homes and businesses, your family, staff, and/or property are optimally protected against criminals. Contact Nightlock today to learn more about customizable security shades for your business or residence.