While all homeowners will benefit from having a security system installed, single parents may benefit the most, if for nothing else than the peace of mind that comes with having an extra set of “eyes” to keep watch on things. Here are the top seven reasons to invest in a home security system.
- A home security system guards against intruders. According to a KGW 8 investigative story, homes with visible security cameras were often a deterrent for thieves. In the NBC affiliate’s survey of local inmates, one convicted burglar wrote that the best thing a homeowner can do to avoid being victimized was to install a home alarm system and get to know the neighbors.
- Protection against fires. Most home security systems can monitor not only for unauthorized activity, but for smoke, fire, and carbon monoxide as well.
- You will have peace of mind that your home is secure. As a single parent, you may not always be able to be home with your kids if they’re older. When you have a home security system, you can leave knowing that your children are never truly alone, that your home is being monitored, and there will always be someone who can contact emergency services, including the police, fire department, or paramedics, if necessary.
- You can protect your valuables. You work hard for everything you own. A home security system will help you protect your investments. The FBI reports that the average burglary victim incurs a loss of more than $2,100. That’s a lot of money. With a small initial investment plus the cost of monitoring, you can reduce your chances of losing not only your valuables but irreplaceable sentimental items, too.
- You’re protected when you are away. On the few occasions you are able to take a vacation or go out of town with your kids, a home security system will keep a watchful eye on your property. And while it can’t guarantee that you won’t come home to a mess, it will make it far more likely that it was left by your kids and not intruders.
- You’ll save money. If you weren’t aware, having a security system, fire alarm, and carbon monoxide detector in your home may qualify you for a significant discount on your homeowner’s insurance. Many companies will reduce your monthly fee by up to 20% by having these items installed. Bankrate says you can potentially increase your savings even more by installing sensors that detect natural gas or water leaks.
- With the right system, you can watch your house from afar. Instead of just relying on someone in a call center 500 miles away, many home security monitoring services will help you keep an eye on your home—and unsupervised teenagers—no matter where you are. New technology can integrate with your smartphone via a dedicated app and secure connection to let you access your cameras remotely. You may also have the option of adjusting your security settings and turning lights on and off to provide the illusion that the home is occupied.
According to Angie’s List members, most people spend an average of $739 on home security. Of course, costs may vary, with most jobs falling between the $600 and $850 price range. Your total cost will depend on the system you choose, along with any additional features or enhancements you select. For less than $1,000, you can help protect your family, and there’s no dollar amount that can accurately reflect the value of that.
Image via Pixabay