With so many massacres happening around the world and in schools especially, there is a large debate upon whether teachers should carry guns or not. Many teachers, school administration, and students can argue that guns will, in fact, save many lives.
There are many pros and cons when it comes to teachers carrying guns, some pros include:
• Safer schools
• Teachers have the ability to fight back
• Armed teachers can keep students safe
• Responsible adults who carry guns can help in times of crisis
• If the gun is safely locked away and kept out of reach of children, then there should not be a problem
• If a teacher is enabled to carry a gun on school property than the weapon should be able to be accessed by other authoritative administrators who are properly qualified to use and hold the weapon
• If the school administration obtains the appropriate information, background check, mental health, and licensing records for their staff a.k.a teachers, and they can safely monitor teachers who carry guns, there should be no reason teachers can’t help protect their students if they are put in a catastrophic situation and want to
On the other side of the coin, there are also many cons when it comes to the question, should teachers carry guns?
• Some parents may argue that teachers can become dangerous
• Parent’s may get anxious knowing their child’s teachers are armed
• Get the wrong weapons in the wrong hands and things could be dangerous
• Some may argue that it is not the teacher’s job to protect the students
• This may increase the levels of violence
• Knowing a teacher is equipped with a gun could create a more stressful and anxiety-ridden environment
• Some teachers may say, they are too underpaid to be the armed protectors of children
• Not all teachers are mentally stable to be carrying guns, better yet, using one in a moment of panic
• Teachers have a good stigma of being compassionate individuals, it may be hard for a teacher to point and shoot at a maniac child who enters the room wanting to kill
Metal Detectors Can Be Helpful
If a deranged gunman wants to create havoc, there is little-known proof that metal detectors will stop this from happening. Of course, this may only help in cases when there is a low-income school and kids come to school with knives or guns to protect themselves.
The question still remains, should teachers carry guns? If teachers are qualified, then carrying a gun should not be an issue. According to the US Constitutional law, responsible US citizens who meet the qualifications have right to bear arms.
Although, gun restrictions should be taken more seriously, proper background checks and extensive mental health records, along with intensive training, and proper state and federal licensing need to be completed by all teachers who do carry a concealed weapon.
If All Else Fails, Temporary Door Barricades Add An Extra Layer Of Safety
If your school has not advanced into the thought of allowing a teacher to a carry gun, then it is wise for schools to look into purchasing innovative temporary door barricade that can be used from the inside. Educating yourself about door locks and how to keep intruders out is wise.
Since many school catastrophes have happened over the years at an all-time high, the notion of letting teachers carry guns is now being strongly considered.
In our honest opinion, if teachers are qualified, take the appropriate measures and want to bear arms to protect their students from disaster, then the pros and cons should be heavily examined.
If you are a teacher or an administrator and you are still not comfortable with the decision to carry a gun on school property, then by all means, research an advanced temporary door barricade that jams the door from the inside out. If carrying a gun can save and destroy lives, so can teachers and temporary door barricades. Although, we need to realize that teachers are meant to be educators, not security guards.
Many students and parents may have mixed emotions when it comes to arming teachers or not. In the end, this may help people feel safe or unsafe, hence why this topic continues to be debatable.
More guns-in-school laws will be addressed in the coming months and years, as more people are realizing that this scenario could be helpful.
What it really comes down to is that teachers are really the first line of defense when it comes to protecting students at a school. When it comes to advanced temporary door barricades, these do add another layer of protection.
Learn more about temporary door barricade and ways to protect classrooms by clicking here now.